Home Edge Eucalyptus (vE) Release Enhances Home Data Privacy and Adds Android Support
Home Edge—an open source edge computing framework for home devices—is now available in its Eucalyptus (vE) release. Home Edge, an LF Edge project, is a robust, reliable and intelligent home edge computing open source framework and ecosystem running on a variety of devices in the home. To accelerate the deployment of the edge computing services ecosystem successfully, the Home Edge Project provides users with an interoperable, flexible, and scalable edge computing services platform with a set of APIs that can also run with libraries and runtimes.
“I am excited to share the availability of vE version of Home Edge on Github,” said Suresh L C, Home Edge Technical Steering Committee (TSC) Co-Chair. “The new Home Edge release adds Android execution support with a secure, robust and end-to-end framework for intelligent service offloading in smart home scenarios, which in turn provides data privacy with low latency response.”
The vE release adds a number of significant new features, among them are
- Open Source Security Foundation (OpenSSF) Badge
- Home Edge has achieved the OpenSSF best practices Gold badge and the OpenSSF scorecard has also been integrated. Go-Project is made compliant by incorporating necessary documentation/quality fixes.
- Data synchronization to Cloud endpoints – MQTT
- Independent MQTT based cloud synchronization mechanism as enhancement to vD
- API’s to send and receive data from and to between Service application and Cloud via Home Edge
- MQTT broker would be configured at the cloud (Cloud agnostic)
- Home Edge acts as MQTT client to exchange data
- TLS secure mode for all the data exchange
- Platform enhancement
- The support for the execution of Home Edge on Android has been added to Home Edge Android
- The base code currently supports device/service discovery and service offload to Linux device
- Service offload to Android from Linux is not supported in this release
- Dependent bot integration
- Bot to check on the updates on dependent libraries has been integrated
- The bot has been configured to run once every month in the first week
- Code enhancements
- Fixed TxT Record parsing as per mDNS protocol
- Refactored service list assignment logic TxT record
- Modified get score API from GET to POST in line with API design rules
- API to add/delete events from database based on event ID added for DataStorage
- Code coverage increased by adding more test cases
- Modified response for Ping request to Pong
- Auto numerical tagging of code when significant changes are incorporated
Learn more about these and other features of Home Edge vE release in the release notes.
For the next steps, the community will work on strengthening the Android version of Home Edge so that the features are in line with the Go version.
If you are using or evaluating Home Edge, please let the project TSC know and join the TSC meetings. Your feedback on the project is greatly appreciated!